Roles and Responsibilities of TAC Committee Members
Toronto Arts Council committees augment the work of the Toronto Arts Council Board of Directors by allowing for the expertise and advice of additional professionals. The committee system also broadens and strengthens the Arts Council's community base.
The Committees are: Community Arts, Dance, Large Institutions, Literary, Music, Theatre and Visual/Media Arts. Committee members review grant applications and make grant recommendations, advise the Board of Directors regarding the needs of the arts community and on general policy matters. The following is a summary of committee members' responsibilities:
- reviewing applications from applicant organizations within their respective discipline and attending the adjudication meetings
- recommending levels of support to the Board of Directors
- Maintaining an awareness of the client base served by the committee and the changing artistic practices, trends and issues within the discipline
- advising on matters affecting the discipline, including the development of new grant programs
- attending events which have received or for which support has been requested from Toronto Arts Council
- participating as a voting member at TAC's annual general meeting
Committee members receive no remuneration for their work but may be compensated for authorized expenditures made on behalf of TAC.
Maximum term: 3 years.
CRITERIA FOR COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
Committee members must be knowledgeable and experienced in their respective discipline area, either in a professional or volunteer capacity.
Committee members should have no real or perceived bias respecting any special interest group while serving as Committee members; rather they should have in mind the best interests of the entire community as an overriding concern.
Committee members should be willing and able to make a significant contribution of time during their tenure. While the number of formal meetings may not be more than seven or eight each year, there is an expectation, with the acceptance of Committee membership, that a commitment has been made which will entail the dedication of considerable periods of voluntary time spent on adjudicating grant applications, attending events and consulting with TAC staff and other Committee members.
Committee members should accept that they are viewed as representatives of Toronto Arts Council and should therefore conduct themselves in an appropriately professional manner respecting their Toronto Arts Council responsibilities and obligations.