Black Lives Matter
June 30, 2020
Toronto Arts Council is committed to confronting the systemic anti-Black racism and inequity that exist in Toronto’s arts sector today. TAC joins Black and Indigenous communities in support of equity, justice and human rights.
Recent protests in Toronto and throughout Canada have highlighted the reality of racism and violence confronting Black and Indigenous people. Toronto Arts Council commits to ensuring that the renewed energy to create meaningful change is not lost.
The COVID-19 pandemic exacerbates existing inequities and threatens the very survival of many in the arts sector. TAC will champion the principles of equity in all that we do to support the arts sector as it strives to overcome the impact of the pandemic.
We are building on our past work in this area to become a more just and equitable organization and funder.
Toronto Arts Council commits to:
In collaboration with Black arts communities through an extensive consultation process, develop and implement funding strategies to contribute to systemic change affecting Black artists and arts organizations (beginning 2020)
- For more information and to participate in the consultation process, please complete our survey.
- Engage Black and Indigenous arts communities in the ongoing evolution of our Equity Framework and Equity Priority Groups (beginning 2020)
- Undertake a comprehensive review of our annual and multi-year operating funding programs to increase alignment with equity principles and address systemic historical inequities (beginning 2021)
- Work with Toronto Arts Foundation to mobilize private sector philanthropy in support of Black and Indigenous arts organizations (beginning 2020)
Toronto Arts Council will continue to:
- Uphold the principles of our Equity Framework in our granting and operations process
- Advocate for increased municipal funding to advance the voices of Black and Indigenous artists and arts organizations
- Highlight the work of Black and Indigenous artists and arts organizations through social media and online platforms
- Provide equity, anti-oppression and anti-racism training for all TAC and TAF staff