ANNOUNCING OPEN DOOR 2021
$1 MILLION+ PANDEMIC RESPONSE GRANTS PROGRAM
TORONTO, May 4, 2021 – Toronto Arts Council announces Open Door 2021: a $1 million+ grants program to support arts organizations as they transition, transform and thrive in response to the on-going global pandemic.
Applications from arts organizations and collectives will be accepted until July 15, 2021 and funding will reach successful applicants in the fall. See detailed application guidelines and information.
COVID-19 has devastated Toronto’s arts sector. Despite this, many artists and organizations are continuing to create, innovate and inspire. Toronto Arts Council’s adapted Open Door Program will assist them as they look towards a future of reopening, and re-engaging with their audiences.
Open Door 2021 will support innovation, experimentation and risk-taking as it empowers organizations to invest in community partnerships, collaborative leadership, and knowledge-sharing. Funding will be provided for:
- Large-scale, collaborative initiatives that create transformative change for organizations and collectives, create meaningful engagement for artists and audiences, with the potential to significantly benefit underserved communities.
- Projects that address pandemic-related impacts for organizations, collectives, and/or the arts sector with emphasis on community access and participant health and safety.
- Organizations considering succession, merger, restructuring or wind-down of their operations.
There is no set grant amount or maximum request for this program. This grant may cover up to 100% of project costs.
Toronto Arts Council recognizes that the pandemic has exacerbated existing inequities within the arts sector. Open Door 2021 will prioritize support for projects that are led by or primarily involve artists or arts workers from TAC equity priority groups, and to organizations and collectives supporting artists, arts workers, and communities most impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Additional funding required to offer Open Door 2021 was secured through deferral of funds from 2020 due to grant program postponements and cancellations resulting from the pandemic.
For more information on Open Door 2021, please contact program manager Liza Mattimore, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact TAC: Please note that TAC staff will remain available to answer your questions and provide updated information throughout the outbreak. Please contact us any time.
- Sign up here for the City of Toronto CultureTO and BusinessTO newsletters.
- Please see the TAC COVID-19 Updates pages for links and resources including statements from Canada Council for the Arts and Ontario Arts Council.