Artists and arts organizations are still producing work, and are bringing us together in innovative and creative ways. Browse through this list to see the latest online art activations in Toronto and Canada.
▶ Follow #CanadaPerforms on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to find out about exciting, live online performances., made possible by National Arts Centre and Facebook.
▶ aluCine Latin Film & Media Arts Festival: Ruta de Fuga: a transmedia documentary that tells the story of the Venezuelan migration crisis through two migration routes from Venezuela to Peru: the Andes Route and the Amazon Route.
▶ AFROFEST ONLINE 2020
Visit Music Africa's Youtube channel for the full 10-day festival of African arts and Culture
▶ Arts Etobicoke:
- Arts in Isolation
Arts In Isolation is a new initiative to deliver free online art classes and cultural experiences that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home
- Shifting Environs
Visit Arts Etobicoke's virtual gallery showcasing artists and artworks that address environmental changes as a result of human activity. Curate your own collection from the 200+ submissions.
A collaboration between Toronto's leading arts institutions, provides free, creative and diverse digital content for a range of audiences seeking meaningful artistic experiences.
▶ Artfest Toronto: The Artfest Ontario Shop was created to sell artists work in tandem with the Artfest Ontario events website.
▶ ArtWorksTO provides opportunities for youth media artists (18-29) who identify as Indigenous, Black and People of Colour and/or 2SLGBTQ+ to gain professional experience, skills and network in the media arts industry.
▶ Bata Shoe Museum: #bsmfromhome
We’re bringing you #BSMFromHome with something new everyday!
▶ Free Times Cafe: But That's Another Story
Live online storytelling event, first Sunday of every month.
▶ Canada’s Ballet Jörgen: Online Ballet Classes & Workshops
Archived and live-streamed beginner, intermediate and advanced ballet classes
▶ Canadian Opera Company: Digital Content Hub
Even during this era of social distancing, the power of music can continue to connect us. As we go through this unusual time together, please join us in keeping the spirit of opera alive and well at home.
▶ CBC: Art Uncontained
A new initiative connecting Canadian artists and art lovers that includes original programming from CBC Arts and across the CBC network, as well as a new artist fund in partnership with the Canada Council for the Arts
▶ Clay and Paper Theatre: The Third Eye Showcase
Through the image-driven stories of their paper theatres, residents from Parkway Forest Park and beyond share their reflections, dreams, frustrations, fears, revolutionary thoughts and wisdom during these pandemic times. Recap of their September 26 live recording. An Arts in the Parks Anyplace initiative
▶ Continuum Contemporary Music: Press Play
Sit back, relax and press play – Continuum’s series of 30 minute videos featuring exciting Canadian musicians, composers, and artists in interview and performance.
▶ COVID-19 Resources Toronto (App)
A collaborative effort by Torontonians to help the city through these difficult times. Includes: ways to help, how to get the assistance you need, fun online activities (art interventions, educational, wellness and exercise classes), and more.
▶ City of Toronto:
▶ Digital Main Street
Digital Main Street is supported by key features that assist main street businesses as they adopt digital tools, technologies and services.
▶ Esprit Orchestra: The Musical Mind
Extracts of compositions, interviews and performances.
▶ Global Toronto: Artist Showcase 2020
A showcase of twenty Toronto-based musical artists and ensembles, curated by a panel of 5 music professionals
▶ Hannaford Street Silver Band:
- A Musical Gift for You: In October 2019, the Hannaford Band presented Nine Daies Wonder by Bramwell Tovey. View a recording of the piece, written for the HSSB and performed by renowned violinist Mark Fewer
▶ Heritage Skills Development Centre: 2020 Afro Carib Fest Online
Celebration of the culture and diversity of Afro-Caribbean communities and beyond through showcasing arts, music, dance and our cultural heritage. Enjoy the playback of the August 22nd livestream.
▶ Hot Docs at Home
A round- up of films, with links to various streaming and on-demand platforms. Includes recommendations by Hot Docs staff, selections from their Docs For Schools programming team to help keep young minds engaged, and free online access to audience favourites for members.
▶ I Lost My Gig: ilostmygig.ca
A space for creative industries and other vulnerable freelance and gig economy workers to connect and share stories in response to COVID-19 in Canada
- Stay iNdoors with imagineNATIVE Online Indigenous content to enjoy at home. Movies, documentaries, interacive games and VR.
- Gather in the Telling: During National Indigenous History Month, June 2020, we gathered every Thursday, beginning on June 4th, to watch, discuss, and get inspired by the work of Indigenous filmmakers, both on and off the screen. Celebrate with us and be part of the #iNconversation!
▶ Inter/Access: Bandwidth: Cultivating Media Art Online
InterAccess is launching a new online programming series that will bring together our members, instructors, artists, curators, and audience during a time of isolation.
▶ Istituto Italiano di Cultura and DLT: Theatre On-Call
A festival of contemporary, interactive performances occurring over the phone and other digital platforms, a way of keeping connected during these uncertain times. Ongoing activities with multiple timeslots.
▶ Kaeja d'Dance:
- Fallow Two solo artists working together - Karen steeped in physical image and Allen's eye as moving camera, both making real-time choices as they respond to their environment and each other.
- Moving Connections Moving Connections: In-Touch offers shared gestures of hope and connectivity in response to the world’s pandemic and Karen’s lifelong research based on Touch, connection and isolation. Not to replace our person to person gatherings in close proximity, or our bodies melded as one in the studio, or shoulder to shoulder kinaesthetic responses in the theatre, this is an expression of the meantime, a way to feel connected and give meaning to today. Gestures were collected from an open call of submissions, done on any device - uncurated.
▶ KasheDance: CV-19 Creative Response
Twice-weekly collaborations with artists generated a written response to CV-19, a soundscape track and movement all created over a month.
▶ Koerner Hall: Live From Koerner Hall Concert Livestream, and archived events
More than 25 Koerner Hall concerts online for you to enjoy, with some of the finest classical, jazz, and world music on stage. Within this catalogue, they'll be doing a Koerner Hall Concerts Streaming Series on Facebook
▶ Koffler Centre of the Arts: Digital Projects, Virtual Learning
The Koffler Centre of the Arts is a cultural platform that explores critical ideas and concerns of our time through exhibitions, publications, performances, literary events and digital initiatives.
▶ Labyrinth Ontario: Modal Music in the Parks
Labyrinth Ontario Musical Workshop celebrates our third anniversary by presenting a series of virtual performances and interviews: “Modal Music in the Parks”.
▶ Manifesto Community Projects: Instagram Live series
In partnership with Music Together. Various dates and times.
▶ Menaka Thakkar Dance Company: Response to COVID-19 - Rising to Resist and Rebuild
- Menaka Thakkar Open House: Discover the three classical styles of Indian Dance practiced by the company, the principal artists, historical and thematic background of the work. Available from Monday January 18
- Trinity of Bharatnatyam: Featuring Brilliant World-Renowned Dancers Bhavajan Kumar & Radhe Jaggi and Menaka Thakkar Dance Company – 10 Dancers performing a group VARNAM in Raga Lathangi. February 14 to March 30, 2021
▶ Muhtadi International Drumming Festival: Encore Plus More
Enjoy the playback of the 21st anniversary festival event that took place on September 5.
▶ Music Gallery: Music Gallery Live
Watch Parties, Concerts, Talks and recaps of previous events.
▶ Myseum of Toronto
▶ Nagata Shachu: Virtual Taiko
Interactive online Japanese drumming lessons, history, quizzes and performances.
▶ Ontario Heritage Trust:
- Digital Doors Open
Join the Ontario Heritage Trust, Doors Open Ontario and its many partners throughout 2020 on a virtual journey across the province as we open Ontario’s doors – online!
- Museums Online:
The Trust has compiled a list of Ontario museums available for digital tours, which we have reproduced with their permission
▶ Ontario Live: Music Together
A living room concert series for Ontario musicians
▶ Opera in Concert: Voicebox Live
Subscribe to thei Opera in Concert Youtube channel for replay performances from their repertoire
▶ Outside Looking in - Replay
Rewatch the Outside Looking In Annual Performance with Buffy Sainte-Marie
▶ Outside the March: The Ministry of Mundane Mysteries
This custom, improvised narrative experience unfolds over a week’s worth of short daily phone calls (Monday thru Saturday), as intrepid private investigators delve into your very own micro mystery using the investigative power of good conversation.
Live streamed music and concerts presented by young Latinx entrepreneurs
▶ Patel-Brown: Virtual Exhibition tours
Patel Brown Gallery is excited to share virtual tours of our current exhibitions at 21 Wade Ave: hiwa-hiwalay by Marigold Santos and Golden Girls by Mia Sandhu. Both shows are now extended until January 16th, 2021.
▶ Paradise Theatre: Virtual Paradise Theatre
In partnership with Film Movement and Area 23a Films, Paradise Theatre invites you to cozy up at home to watch selected favourites
▶ PlayME Podcast: The Show Must Go On
PlayME presents a new season of plays-turned-podcasts, nearly all cancelled or disrupted by COVID-19. Featuring Carried Away on the Crest of a Wave by David Yee, Take d Milk, Nah? by Jiv Parasram, Secret Life of a Mother by Hannah Moscovitch, The Runner by Christopher Morris, Cowgirl Up by Anna Chatterton, Three Women of Swatow by Chloe Hung and Sir John A: Acts of a Gentrified Ojibway Rebellion by Drew Hayden Taylor
▶ Planet in Focus: Toronto Bird Celebration
Keep checking back for updates, as we update the site through the year – outdoor events will eventually be back.
▶ Red Sky:
- Wisdom Keeper Series Livestream recap of REDTalk featuring Senator Murray Sinclair, author Lee Maracle, and artistic director and moderator Sandra Laronde as they delve into the pandemic and the meaning of wisdom.
- The Land on Which We Dance: In 2019, Jacob’s Pillow hosted a week-long landmark celebration where the campus was illuminated with an exchange of song, dance, and storytelling—bringing together local Indigenous peoples with contemporary artists based in the U.S. and Canada. Sandra Laronde, of the Teme-Augama Anishinaabe (People of the Deep Water) and Artistic Director of Red Sky Performance, worked with Jacob’s Pillow to curate this week-long celebration, in association with Christopher K. Morgan and with support from Larry Spotted Crow Mann. See excerpts of performances and story-telling on the one-year anniversary of this momentous gathering.
▶ Rivoli Home Sessions
Rivoli Instagram Artist Takeover from the safe confines of their homes
▶ Ryerson Image Centre: The Edward Burtynsky Collection
Visionary Canadian photographer Edward Burtynsky gifts career-spanning archive to the Ryerson Image Centre
▶ Scarborough Philharmonic Orchestra: Go Digital with SPO
As the entire planet continues to deal with the restrictions of Covid-19, the SPO has adapated to continue to offer our community, and the world, an incredible classical music experience.
▶ Sinfonia Toronto: Virtual Concerts
SInfonia Toronto presents livestreamed concerts which will remain accessible for 29 days after each live performance.
▶ SKETCH is a community arts organization that engages young people navigating homelessness in the transformative power of the arts.
Creating Against the Odds: Online arts programming to increase young people's access to one-on-one mentorship, leadership training, and community support to meet basic needs during this pandemic.
Art in Pandemic: A weekly video series that showcases the resilience and perseverance of artists on the margins as they share their artistic practice and process in light of COVID-19.
▶ Soulpepper Theatre:
- Fresh Ink Fresh Ink is an opportunity for artists and audiences to share new work, the life blood of the theatre.
▶ STEPS Initiative: One-of-a-kind art initiatives and engagement strategies that create vibrant public spaces
- HomeBase: a Toronto based call and supports for 6 community-led public art initiatives #stepsHomeBase
- Insiders Artist Project: a Canada-wide call and support for 8 community-engaged works produced in publicly visible private spaces, resulted in coast-to-coast work, including three in Toronto. #stepsInsiders
- Toronto Makes Good: capacity-building workshops for 30 emerging artists, and large-scale photo exhibit featuring 9 emerging Toronto photographers exploring health and wellness, to be installed on downtown construction site
- CreateSpace Artist Workshop: a virtual event series focused on building awareness and capacity of diverse Canadian artists working in public spaces.
▶ Tafelmusik: #TafelmusikTogether:
A digital online initiative created to share moments of beauty and joy through music of the past.
▶ Theatre Direct:
- Balancing Act Introducing four new digital programs designed to inspire intergenerational learning, support artist caregivers and engage young people through art.
- Through the Wall: TUNE IN to hear the voices of young people from across the country share their thoughts about what it has been like to live through this unprecedented time!
▶ Théâtre français de Toronto:
- The Concierge As part of the Feuilles Vives 2020, Théâtre Action presents Le Concierge by Vincent Leblanc-Beaudoin, produced by the Théâtre français de Toronto and DLT
- ACT II: "TfT CONNECTED" Offering cultural activities and artistic events accessible to everyone online. This new programming is free of charge. Includes: Writing workshops, shows, acting classes for youth and storytime in french.
- Voies/x Ouvertes: Creating On Live Radio: In partnership with ICI Ontario and Théâtre du Nouvel Ontario, TfT invites listeners of the radio program À l’échelle humaine hosted by Isabelle Ménard to participate in the development of two plays: Sombre divan by Michel Ouellette this fall, and Convictions by Lara Arabian this winter.
▶ Theatre Passe Muraille: Behind the Curtain Series
A look behind the scenes into the operations of the theatre
▶ Theatre Smith-Gilmour: As I Lay Dying
A live streaming of Theatre Smith-Gilmour's adaptation of the William Faulkner epic novel
▶ The Koffler Gallery: There are Times and Places
There are Times and Places investigates how we interact socially and intellectually in digitally constructed realities. Featuring four original artworks, each exploring and locating the significance of online spaces.
▶ The Koffler Centre of the Arts: Book Reading: Polar Vortex by Shani Mootoo
Acclaimed writer and visual artist Shani Mootoo reads an excerpt from her new novel, Polar Vortex.
▶ The Social Distancing Festival: socialdistancingfestival.com
An online artist community made to celebrate and showcase the work of the many artists around the world who have been affected by COVID-19
▶ The Songbird Series
The Songbird Series connects people through music, offering personalized performances, recorded by musicians from around the world, sent to those who have little access to personal connection in this time of isolation.
▶ Thompson Landry Gallery: France Jodoin Virtual Exhibition
You can access the virtual works at your leisure, or contact the Gallery for one of us to meet you there! Visit the gallery website for a look at Jodoin's works and those of other artists.
▶ TO Live: Living Rooms
Featuring exciting performances by Toronto artists – from the comfort of their living rooms, to yours!
▶ Toronto Jewish Film Foundation: Jewish Films Online
The TJFF collection is currently available for free, with new films added each week!
▶ Toronto Musical Concerts: BIG GIRL & Friends daily YouTube Live stream
Featuring professional Canadian musical theatre artists sharing performances and conversations to promote awareness and support for The AFC’s (Actors’ Fund of Canada) vital services for those most vulnerable to the effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
▶ Toronto Outdoor Art Fair: Year of Public Art 2021
Members of the Mayor’s External Advisory Committee for the Year of Public Art 2021 discuss their perspectives on this important City initiative and why they are lending their energy and individual expertise to ensure its success.
▶ Toronto Public Library: 38 ways to use the library from home (digital library services)
A quick guide to all of the online services you can use with your library card, or use code TPL2020 to receive a temporary digital card.
▶ Toronto Symphony Orchestra: Toronto Symphony Plays Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring From Their Homes (video)
- Watch and Listen: enjoy audio and video selections from TSO's repertoire from the comfort of your home.
▶ Trinity Square Video
Free and PWYC online workshops, programming, exhibitions and community support for media artists and more.
Co-presenting a 4-week series of 19 shows curated by some of Ontario's most dynamic cancelled festivals and presenters.
▶ Vibe Arts: Online Art Programs
Ongoing programs to employ artists, inspire communities and keep the arts flowing through the lives of people in Ontario
▶ Wee Festival: Wee Digital Artistic performances and activities for children, across Canada and the globe