Artists and arts organizations are still producing work, and are bringing us together in innovative and creative ways. Browse through this list to see the latest online art activations in Toronto and across Canada.
▶ Follow #CanadaPerforms on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to find out about exciting, live online performances, made possible by National Arts Centre and Facebook.
▶ Against The Grain Theatre: Sāvitri
Based on the ancient Hindu legend from the Mahābhārata, AtG's Sāvitri is a contemporary 40-minute film of the outdoor chamber opera by Gustav Holst. WED, JUN 23 2021 8:00 PM—SUN, JUL 11 2021 11:59 PM
▶ AGO Virtual School Programs
AGO Virtual School Programs spring into classrooms with live dance, architecture, music and art from around the world
▶ aluCine Latin Film & Media Arts Festival: Ruta de Fuga: a transmedia documentary that tells the story of the Venezuelan migration crisis through two migration routes from Venezuela to Peru: the Andes Route and the Amazon Route.
▶ AFROFEST ONLINE
Visit Music Africa's Youtube channel for the full 10-day festival of African arts and Culture
▶ Arts Etobicoke:
- Edge Youth Arts Show 2021: Since 1988 Arts Etobicoke has offered high-school aged youth the opportunity to showcase their artwork alongside their peers in a professional exhibition setting. Each year, the show features artwork from hundreds of students and dozens of schools across Toronto.
- Arts in Isolation: Arts In Isolation is a new initiative to deliver free online art classes and cultural experiences that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home
- Shifting Environs: Visit Arts Etobicoke's virtual gallery showcasing artists and artworks that address environmental changes as a result of human activity. Curate your own collection from the 200+ submissions.
A collaboration between Toronto's leading arts institutions, provides free, creative and diverse digital content for a range of audiences seeking meaningful artistic experiences.
▶ Artfest Toronto: The Artfest Ontario Shop was created to sell artists work in tandem with the Artfest Ontario events website.
▶ ArtWorksTO provides opportunities for youth media artists (18-29) who identify as Indigenous, Black and People of Colour and/or 2SLGBTQ+ to gain professional experience, skills and network in the media arts industry.
▶ Bata Shoe Museum: #bsmfromhome
We’re bringing you #BSMFromHome with something new everyday!
▶ Free Times Cafe: But That's Another Story
Live online storytelling event, first Sunday of every month.
▶ Canada’s Ballet Jörgen:
- Online Ballet Classes & Workshops Archived and live-streamed beginner, intermediate and advanced ballet classes
- CBJ dances through Toronto: “Canada's Ballet Jörgen Dances Through Toronto" was choreographed by Bengt Jörgen, C.M. and locations include Graffiti Alley, The Waterfront, City Hall, Casa Loma including George Brown College Casa Loma Campus and in the CBJ studio.
▶ Canadian Opera Company: Digital Content Hub
Even during this era of social distancing, the power of music can continue to connect us. As we go through this unusual time together, please join us in keeping the spirit of opera alive and well at home.
▶ Canadian Multicultural Inventors Museum: CMIM is a virtual museum featuring diverse innovators and inventors from all over the world.
▶ CBC: Art Uncontained
A new initiative connecting Canadian artists and art lovers that includes original programming from CBC Arts and across the CBC network, as well as a new artist fund in partnership with the Canada Council for the Arts
▶ Celebrate Toronto Virtual Festival: This year Celebrate Toronto will be raising funds towards DonateTO’s COVID-19 Relief and Recovery and Long term care homes. Let’s do our part to stay safe, stay home and help provide support those in need.
▶ Clay and Paper Theatre: The Third Eye Showcase
Through the image-driven stories of their paper theatres, residents from Parkway Forest Park and beyond share their reflections, dreams, frustrations, fears, revolutionary thoughts and wisdom during these pandemic times. Recap of their September 26 live recording. An Arts in the Parks Anyplace initiative
▶ COBA Performance Institute (CPI) - Free Children's Workshops June-August
▶ Continuum Contemporary Music: Press Play
Sit back, relax and press play – Continuum’s series of 30 minute videos featuring exciting Canadian musicians, composers, and artists in interview and performance.
▶ COVID-19 Resources Toronto (App)
A collaborative effort by Torontonians to help the city through these difficult times. Includes: ways to help, how to get the assistance you need, fun online activities (art interventions, educational, wellness and exercise classes), and more.
▶ City of Toronto:
▶ Digital Main Street
Digital Main Street is supported by key features that assist main street businesses as they adopt digital tools, technologies and services.
▶ Esprit Orchestra: The Musical Mind
Extracts of compositions, interviews and performances.
▶ Fall for Dance North (FFDN) and Harbourfront Centre: TESSEL
A national initiative conceptualized by Dora-nominated choreographer and creator Esie Mensah (Shades, A Revolution of Love), the film brings 14 pioneering Black dancemakers together in a vital conversation on what it means to be an artist in this moment. Premiering June 1.
▶ Hannaford Street Silver Band: Postcards from the Practice Room (and more)
Subscribe to the HSSB Youtube Channel for performances and insights as the band navigates pandemic life.
▶ Heritage Skills Development Centre: Scarborough Celebrates Canada Online 2021
Heritage Skills Development Centre (HSDC) presents a celebration of Canadian Multiculturalism. Our online event: Scarborough Celebrates Canada takes place on June 27, 2021 from 5 pm to 9 pm on Youtube and Twitch.
▶ Hot Docs at Home
A round- up of films, with links to various streaming and on-demand platforms. Includes recommendations by Hot Docs staff, selections from their Docs For Schools programming team to help keep young minds engaged, and free online access to audience favourites for members.
▶ Humber Valley Art Club: Annual Juried Art Show and Sale
The Humber Valley Art Club offers quality instruction in a variety of media. Our aim is to assist students in attaining their artistic goals and to experience the joys of creation in a friendly and inclusive atmosphere.
- Stay iNdoors with imagineNATIVE Online Indigenous content to enjoy at home. Movies, documentaries, interacive games and VR.
- Gather in the Telling: During National Indigenous History Month, June 2020, we gathered every Thursday, beginning on June 4th, to watch, discuss, and get inspired by the work of Indigenous filmmakers, both on and off the screen. Celebrate with us and be part of the #iNconversation!
▶ Kaeja d'Dance:
- 2021 Contact Dance Film Festival: dance on screen festival focusing on momentum-based dance by creators and dancers in the field of Contact Improvisation and related dance forms. Streaming from June 12
▶ KasheDance: CV-19 Creative Response
Twice-weekly collaborations with artists generated a written response to CV-19, a soundscape track and movement all created over a month.
▶ Kemi Projects: The Paper Films Trilogy
The Paper Films Trilogy tells the story of an artist’s journey to becoming a mother as she navigates between trust and fear, roles and expectations, to find conviction in her creative voice.
▶ Koerner Hall: Live From Koerner Hall Concert Livestream, and archived events
More than 25 Koerner Hall concerts online for you to enjoy, with some of the finest classical, jazz, and world music on stage. Within this catalogue, they'll be doing a Koerner Hall Concerts Streaming Series on Facebook
▶ Koffler Centre of the Arts: Digital Projects, Virtual Learning
The Koffler Centre of the Arts is a cultural platform that explores critical ideas and concerns of our time through exhibitions, publications, performances, literary events and digital initiatives.
▶ Labyrinth Ontario: Modal Music in the Parks
Labyrinth Ontario Musical Workshop celebrates our third anniversary by presenting a series of virtual performances and interviews: “Modal Music in the Parks”
▶ Luminato: In Luminato’s new free digital space, audiences from all around the world can connect through art, performance and conversation.
- Desire Path: A six-part series of audio experiences that explore Toronto futures, designed by artists.
▶ Manifesto Community Projects: Instagram Live series
In partnership with Music Together. Various dates and times.
▶ Muhtadi International Drumming Festival: Encore Plus More
Enjoy the playback of the 21st anniversary festival event
▶ Music Expo: Summer Solstice Virtual Music Expo - Country Music Edition
This event is made for both music fans and musicians! Welcome in the Summer with some of the best up and coming Canadian Country Artists! SATURDAY, JUNE 19TH, 2021, 10:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. EST
▶ Music Gallery: Music Gallery Live
Watch Parties, Concerts, Talks and recaps of previous events.
▶ Myseum of Toronto
▶ Nagata Shachu: Virtual Taiko
Interactive online Japanese drumming lessons, history, quizzes and performances.
▶ National Arts Centre:
- Capsule: A community-responsive platform hosted by the National Arts Centre Dance Department in close collaboration with F-O-R-M and Dumb Instrument Dance. Capsule is available to experience from May 3 – August 31, 2021.
- The Transformations Project: “What would it take to transform our society for the betterment of all?” This is a national project in which live performance companies from across Canada are asking some of their favourite artists to approach the above question in whatever way they see fit.
▶ North York Arts: From Drum to DJ
A hands-on music program that explores the influence of African and Afro-Caribbean/Latinx drumming traditions on the evolution of hip-hop music, turntablism, and popular culture today. Led by Benjamin DeGraaf of Love Music Initiative, this program will be held online for youth age 12-18.
▶ Ontario Heritage Trust:
- Digital Doors Open
Join the Ontario Heritage Trust, Doors Open Ontario and its many partners throughout 2020 on a virtual journey across the province as we open Ontario’s doors – online!
- Museums Online:
The Trust has compiled a list of Ontario museums available for digital tours, which we have reproduced with their permission
▶ Opera Atelier: Handel’s The Resurrection
Opera Atelier presents the Canadian Film Premiere of Handel’s The Resurrection - streaming May 27, 2021 at 7pm ET (Available until June 10, 2021).
▶ Opera in Concert: Voicebox Live Subscribe to the Opera in Concert Youtube channel for replay performances from their repertoire
▶ Outside Looking in - Showcase
Celebrate and support the achievement of Indigenous youth across Canada by watching our 14th Annual Showcase.
Live streamed music and concerts presented by young Latinx entrepreneurs
▶ P.A.N. Pan Arts Network: Producing and promoting the steel pan orchestra concerts, soloists and jazz ensembles; establishing awards of distinction to pioneers in pan, also known as the steel drum.
- Promoting the Culture of Steelpan: STEELPAN CULTURAL PROMOTERS discuss how to navigate virtual showcases and more! Replay from Saturday February 6th
- Power to Teach: STEELPAN EDUCATORS discuss how to successfully navigate virtual learning and more! Replay from January 29 2021
▶ PlayME Podcast: The Show Must Go On
PlayME presents a new season of plays-turned-podcasts, nearly all cancelled or disrupted by COVID-19. Featuring Carried Away on the Crest of a Wave by David Yee, Take d Milk, Nah? by Jiv Parasram, Secret Life of a Mother by Hannah Moscovitch, The Runner by Christopher Morris, Cowgirl Up by Anna Chatterton, Three Women of Swatow by Chloe Hung and Sir John A: Acts of a Gentrified Ojibway Rebellion by Drew Hayden Taylor
▶ Planet in Focus: Toronto Bird Celebration
Keep checking back for updates, as we update the site through the year – outdoor events will eventually be back.
▶ Red Sky:
- Mistatim: Red Sky Performance brings a thrilling virtual performance of our award-winning Mistatim to audiences across Canada. Mon, June 21, 2021 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM EDT, and September 30
- REDTalk: Reconciliation in the Era of Tragedy. Building a New Relationship for the Future: On Tuesday, June 22, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM in celebration of National Indigenous Peoples Week, join Red Sky for a REDTalk with Dr. Michael DeGagné. He will join host Sandra Laronde for an engaging conversation about Indigenous modern history, working towards self-governance, the impact of residential schools, and what reconciliation means today.
- Wisdom Keeper Series Livestream recap of REDTalk featuring Senator Murray Sinclair, author Lee Maracle, and artistic director and moderator Sandra Laronde as they delve into the pandemic and the meaning of wisdom.
▶ Royal Conservatory of Music: Music of My Life
Music of My Life is a new online series from The Royal Conservatory of Music where stars of the stage and screen discuss music that inspires them. The series also features breakout performances filmed at The Royal Conservatory’s acclaimed Koerner Hall.
▶ Royal Ontario Museum: ROM at Home
Featuring live discussions, topical Q&As, educational activities, and behind-the-scenes videos from ROM curators and experts, ROM at Home opens the doors to the Museum with programming that is accessible through their website and social media channels.
▶ Scarborough Philharmonic Orchestra: Go Digital with SPO
As the entire planet continues to deal with the restrictions of Covid-19, the SPO has adapated to continue to offer our community, and the world, an incredible classical music experience.
▶ Shadowland Theare: Visit the YouTube Shadowland Channel for constantly updated content from the Toronto Island based group of Theatre and Visual Arts practitioners
▶ SING! The Toronto Vocal Arts Festival: Gain access to all content of the 2021 SING! The Toronto Vocal Arts Festival. 20+ hours of content!
▶ SIngular Sensation Online
A long running live musical theatre event turned online performing arts talk show celebrating the strength and resiliency of the theatre community during the pandemic.
▶ SKETCH is a community arts organization that engages young people navigating homelessness in the transformative power of the arts.
- Art in Pandemic: A weekly video series that showcases the resilience and perseverance of artists on the margins as they share their artistic practice and process in light of COVID-19.
▶ Soulpepper Theatre: Around the World in 80 Plays
While we are at home, Soulpepper is inviting audiences on a guided tour of the rich theatrical practices of the world. Content will air on a weekly basis beginning April 21, and be accessed through your Soulpepper account portal for you to enjoy as often as you’d like through to June 30, 2021.
▶ STEPS Initiative: One-of-a-kind art initiatives and engagement strategies that create vibrant public spaces
- HomeBase: a Toronto based call and supports for 6 community-led public art initiatives #stepsHomeBase
- Insiders Artist Project: a Canada-wide call and support for 8 community-engaged works produced in publicly visible private spaces, resulted in coast-to-coast work, including three in Toronto. #stepsInsiders
▶ Tafelmusik: #TafelmusikTogether:
A digital online initiative created to share moments of beauty and joy through music of the past.
▶ Theatre Direct: Through the Wall: TUNE IN to hear the voices of young people from across the country share their thoughts about what it has been like to live through this unprecedented time!
▶ Théâtre français de Toronto:
- À l'échelle humaine: In partnership with Radio-Canada Ontario and Théâtre du Nouvel Ontario, On a Human Scale is a weekly program that highlights the cultural diversity and vitality of Ontario's Francophone communities.
- Book Club: Alliance Française de Toronto (AFT) and Théâtre français de Toronto (TfT) are teaming up to create a “theatre” book club. This series of virtual meetings will be an opportunity to discuss specific scenes from plays associated with our artistic season.
- ACT II: "TfT CONNECTED" Offering cultural activities and artistic events accessible to everyone online. This new programming is free of charge. Includes: Writing workshops, shows, acting classes for youth and storytime in french.
▶ Theatre Museum Canada: The Legend Library of videotaped interviews
A series of exclusive interviews with pioneers of Canadian Theatre
▶ Theatre Passe Muraille: Behind the Curtain Series
A look behind the scenes into the operations of the theatre
▶ Theatre Smith-Gilmour: As I Lay Dying
A live streaming of Theatre Smith-Gilmour's adaptation of the William Faulkner epic novel
▶ The Koffler Gallery: Koffler Digital
▶ The Social Distancing Festival: socialdistancingfestival.com
An online artist community made to celebrate and showcase the work of the many artists around the world who have been affected by COVID-19
▶ The Songbird Series
The Songbird Series connects people through music, offering personalized performances, recorded by musicians from around the world, sent to those who have little access to personal connection in this time of isolation.
▶ Toronto Arts Foundation: Arts Chats
As part of Toronto Arts Foundation’s ongoing research into the importance of the arts in city and community-building, Arts Chats brings together a diverse array of speakers from a variety of disciplines to discuss timely and under-studied issues that affect them, their practice and the impacts of their work.
▶ TO Live: Living Rooms Featuring exciting performances by Toronto artists – from the comfort of their living rooms, to yours!
- The Transformations Project: This is a national project in which live performance companies from across Canada are asking some of their favourite artists to approach the above question in whatever way they see fit.
▶ Toronto Consort:
- Early Music TV: high-quality video-on-demand streaming service dedicated to glorious music of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Baroque.
▶ Toronto Jewish Film Foundation:
- The 29th Toronto Jewish Film Festival: Online June 3 to 13, 2021. TJFF 2021 features over 60 films, including International, Canadian and Toronto Premieres, all accessible for viewers in Ontario
- Jewish Films Online
- No Silence on Race is a movement borne out of the necessity for racial equity and inclusivity within Canadian Jewish spaces. Dedicated to building a Jewish community reflective of its immense diversity, the movement is committed to advocacy, education, and change.
- Doing Jewish: A Story from Ghana: While working in Ghana, Gabrielle Zilkha discovers the vibrant Sefwi Jewish community. She brings us along on her journey to better understand what it means to belong to the Jewish people and why some people’s Judaism is questioned while that of others is taken at face value.
▶ Toronto Museums: Awakenings
Experience Toronto’s many stories through the Awakenings program. This series of art projects was created within Toronto History Museums by Black, Indigenous and artists of colour.
▶ Toronto Musical Concerts: BIG GIRL & Friends daily YouTube Live stream
Featuring professional Canadian musical theatre artists sharing performances and conversations to promote awareness and support for The AFC’s (Actors’ Fund of Canada) vital services for those most vulnerable to the effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
▶ Toronto Outdoor Art Fair:
- Year of Public Art 2021 Members of the Mayor’s External Advisory Committee for the Year of Public Art 2021 discuss their perspectives on this important City initiative and why they are lending their energy and individual expertise to ensure its success.
▶ Toronto Public Library: 38 ways to use the library from home (digital library services)
A quick guide to all of the online services you can use with your library card, or use code TPL2020 to receive a temporary digital card.
▶ Toronto Symphony Orchestra: Toronto Symphony Plays Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring From Their Homes (video)
- Watch and Listen: enjoy audio and video selections from TSO's repertoire from the comfort of your home.
▶ Trinity Square Video
Free and PWYC online workshops, programming, exhibitions and community support for media artists and more.
Co-presenting a 4-week series of 19 shows curated by some of Ontario's most dynamic cancelled festivals and presenters.
▶ Vibe Arts: Online Art Programs
Ongoing programs to employ artists, inspire communities and keep the arts flowing through the lives of people in Ontario
▶ Wee Festival 2021
Artistic performances and activities for families, across Canada and around the world.